As it gets colder and starts to snow, we crave for something make our body warm. For me a cup of soup, especially Kabocha Squash Soup. Kabocha squash referred to as Japanese pumpkin, harvesting in autumn, I can get a locally grown one here in Ontario. As a Japanese person living in Canada, some authentic vegetables are hard to get but I can get local Kabocha squash.
I have a few recipes of Kabocha Squash Soup but I am going to show you one of them today, adding a little bit of ginger as a spice and fight against from getting a cold/flu. Unlike most Kabocha Squash Soup, this recipe is for vegetarian or can be arranged for vegan, too.
Kabocha Squash Soup Recipe
Prep & Cook Time: 30 min | Yield: 2-3 serving
- Kabocha Squash (Butternut Squash) x 1/2
- Small Organic Onion x 1/2
- Onion’s Skin x 1 or 2 Onion’s skins (will use the skin for broth)
- Ginger (I use Organic) x just a little
- Sea Salt
- Vegetable Oil x 1 tbsp
- Water x 2 cups/500ml
- Milk (optional)
1. Bring a medium pot of water 2cups or 500ml to boil and add the washed organic onion skins to boil until brown, about 10 min.
2. In a medium pot, warm 1 tbsp vegetable oil (I prefer safflower oil to olive oil).
3. Add chopped onion and ginger into 2. and stir until onion is soft.
4. Meanwhile, chop and cut into pieces Kabocha squash and remove skins. Add chopped kabocha squash into 3., sprinkle it with sea salt and stir a little.
5. Add the onion skin broth (remove the skins) to cover Kabocha squash. Bring to boil over medium heat till Kabocha squash gets soft, about 10-15 min.
6. Transfer the cooked Kabocha squash from the pot into your blender. Blend slowly little by little as it is very hot.
7. Bring it back to the pot and add milk if you want. Bring to boil for serving.
8. Serve and enjoy!
* Onion broth adds mild sweet flavor and nutrition.
* Some olive oil has got green strong flavor so that I prefer to use safflower or sunflower oils as they have less distinct flavor.
* Hint of ginger adds subtle spicy flavor and nutrition.
I am thinking to buy the blender like this to make the soup easily.
KitchenAid KHB1231ER 2-Speed Immersion Blender, Empire Red
I had this soup today for lunch with my boyfriend who does not like onion and ginger but put them in this soup and no foam of piece of onion or ginger, he can enjoy and get nutrition as well.